We recognize that you likely have many incredible and worthwhile organizations who are asking for your support this time of year. To help you in your charitable decision making process, we developed our Top 10 (okay… Top 11) reasons to support Wolfe’s Neck Farm today. We are:
- Giving children meaningful experiences. Over 3,500 children participated in educational programming at the farm this year, including districts that received financial aid from Wolfe’s Neck Farm.
- Inspiring the next generation of young farmers. As many of Maine’s farmers reach their retirement years, we desperately need to fill the void they are leaving behind. Our Teen Ag program now has 8 “graduates” from its first two years.
- Feeding your neighbors. This year, we donated over 7,000 pounds of food to Freeport Community Services and Mid Coast Hunger Prevention Program including pasture-raised turkeys to FCS for their annual Thanksgiving dinner.
- Demonstrating sustainable agriculture. Leading by demonstrating. Our farming practices ensure the best possible care for our animals, our health and the environment.
- Preserving historic landscapes, buildings and farmland. In 2013, we made some critical repairs and improvements to the farm and have plans to do even more in 2014 to care for, enhance and improve this wonderful resource.
- Preserving four miles of shoreline. Aside from state parks, nearly every inch of Maine shoreline is privately owned. Our four miles of Casco Bay shoreline are open to the public every day, at no charge.
- Strengthening our local food systems. We’re developing strategic relationships with organizations and businesses who share our belief that a stronger local food system is better for our health, the local economy and the environment.
- Creating a source for high-quality local foods. We’re expanding our growing operations each year, offering more sustainably grown and raised food to the community and our many thousands of visitors.
- Providing families a place to unplug, experience natural beauty, and create lifelong memories. Camping, hiking, paddling, biking, Nordic skiing, gardening and eating are core to the Wolfe’s Neck Farm experience.
- We’ve been here a long time. Wolfe’s Neck Farm was established in 1959 as a pioneer in organic agriculture. We take our role as stewards of this special place very seriously and, with your help, the Farm will continue to be a vital and thriving resource for people throughout Maine and beyond.
- Building community. Hosting events, community gatherings, supporting other local organizations and more…. there’s just so many good reasons to support Wolfe’s Neck Farm, that it’s hard to pick just ten!